Friday, April 20, 2007

I wish I hadn't said that...

Here's what I read this morning. Jesus, speaking about the coming end, says in Matthew 12: 35-37:

"The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him . But I tell you that men will have to give an account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

He is speaking directly to the Pharisees, but the context clearly asserts, with unswerving certainty, that everyone will be held accountable for the things we have said. I will be held accountable for all of the words I have uttered.

That is a very sobering prophecy, which is exactly what He intends for it to be.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Which is why I try very hard to speak words of kindness whenever possible.