Sunday, January 14, 2007

24 Years Ago Today, Part I

24 years ago today Nancy and I were married at an Episcopal church in Irving, Texas. It was a cold, rainy, crazy whirlwind of a day chock full of memories, some crystal clear, some hazy, and all cherished.

It was a big wedding, or at least we thought it was, with some 400 people showing up. We had invited everyone we could think of, to be honest, just because we couldn’t think of any reason not to. So, in addition to family, we had friends from both of our high schools, plus all of our friends from college (University of North Texas), work, and pretty much anybody else that wanted to come was welcome, as well.

Some especially memorable elements include my brother being the Best Man who, among other things, saw to it that I did, in fact, get some food and champagne at the reception.

Also, the Men's Chorus from the Gamma Theta Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha provided some wonderful music for us. I had been president of this collegiate professional music fraternity for two years and having them sing at my wedding was a very special honor. That group included some of my closest friends.

My groomsmen included Craig Dalton, who had been one of my closest friends in high school, having taught me my first guitar licks. Also Don Phelps, a trumpet player, frat brother, and really great guy who is today a Lutheran pastor in Illinois. And, of course, Nancy's brother Steve Hockett, who cheerfully volunteered to help me escape out the back door if I felt the need. I didn't, thankfully, but he has always been a great brother-in-law...albeit a confirmed bachelor to this day.

Nancy's Maid of Honor was Julie Ringler, her best friend from high school. The other bridesmaids were Katherine Grimm, her college roommate, as well as Theresa Scott another high school friend, and Laura Dalton.

We have had a great marriage. Neither of us can believe it is really 24 years, to be honest, because it doesn't seem like it could have been that long ago. It has not always been easy, by any means, because it is hard work to be married. We've had good times and bad times, just like everybody else. We are well aware that we are not particularly special - it is only through the mercy and blessings of God that we have made it this far. And with His blessing, we hope for many, many more years together. Until death do us part.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

What a beautiful bride!

Happy anniversary!