Saturday, August 02, 2008

Wallpaper Airplanes - MBPYNHO

Everyone has to be from somewhere, of course, so don't be put off by the fact that these guys say they are from Hollywood, CA. Personally, I'm not 100% sure that anyone is actually from there, although there are certainly a lot of people who do try to wind up there. Nevertheless, be willing to suspend your disbelief and enjoy these tunes in today's installment of Music By People You've Never Heard Of.

(And, yes, I am aware that a more grammatically accurate appellation might be Music By People Of Whom You've Never Heard. But that's just silly and pedantic, so let it go....)

So, go listen a bit to the Wallpaper Airplanes. Their music reminds of several classic artists I like. I hear a little Pink Floyd, a little Psychedelic Furs, and a dash Radiohead, but that's just me. I like the creative and balanced song structure, the artfully woven layers of synth, guitar, groove, and, with one exception, vocals.  A lot of the synth timbres are kind of retro, but I like the way they are used compositionally.  There aren't that many indie rock bands nowadays that rely on synthesizers for this much texture, and it is refreshing.

I would buy the album, I think, overlooking the whole "we're from Hollywood" thing. I like all of these songs and I hope you do, too.

No comments: