Sunday, August 09, 2009

Scrapings

Hey, remember blogging? Way back in like 2008 when everybody would write on their blogs and stuff, sharing their innermost thoughts, posting recipes, pictures of puppies and kittens, and all about stuff their kids were doing and things like that? Yeah, those were the days.

Well as long as I'm here, I'm going to do a brain dump.

*****

I was surprised at the visceral, emotional reaction I had today when I read this story about how the idiot dictator of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez, is talking trash about Colombia. My first thought was, "Hey, I know those people, you butthead. Leave them alone!" Those are my friends he's threatening and I don't like it one bit.

*****

I think the recent proliferation of vampire fiction, including all of it's cinematic variants, is just plain weird. I'm definitely not into it, mostly because it's ridiculously popular and because I really don't have the time for that kind of reading. But, still, I think it is a peculiar sub-genre. Okay, I confess...I did enjoy the early years of Joss Whedon's Buffy series, especially when it was in syndication and was broadcast every morning during coffee time. I also think 1987's "The Lost Boys" is a kind of modern classic, but most of the rest of it is just not that interesting to me. Somewhere, though, I bet there are several hundred graduate students in English Literature analyzing this phenomenon and cranking out the definitive theses. I don't want to read those, either.

*****


I recently saw the Clint Eastwood movie, "Gran Torino," and liked it very much, charmed even by it's imperfections. It really is one of the best movies I've seen in the last year. I also finally saw the award-winning "There Will Be Blood," starring Daniel Day Lewis. What an absolute waste of time that movie is. Hated it.



*****

"Sometimes people may be so appalled, so offended by what you have to say that they don't stick around long enough to hear your explanation, much less your apology."

I dreamed this statement, in this morning's pre-dawn slumber. There was a dramatic context, of course, but I barely remember it. The statement, though, I remembered loud and clear upon awakening

*****

It is absurd, but the Indiana Symphony Orchestra is heavily promoting on TV their upcoming concert featuring the greatest hits of Queen. Please. What is this going to accomplish, really? They are going to butcher this music while simultaneously selling their artistic soul for a little coin. What a complete waste of time, money, talent, and effort. And, no, I don't have to hear it first to justify my opinion any more than it is necessary for me to drive off a cliff in order to understand how terrible it would be to die in a fiery crash.

No comments: